Have you ever found yourself in a situation when you kept praying for something and it looks like the answer to that particular thing ain’t coming through? But other things got answered. It could be that you’ve been praying for healing, open doors, promotion, etc, but you ain’t getting them.
What could be wrong? What should you do?
Remember the story of Elijah? He had to pray 7 times before it eventually rained.
How about Hannah? Sarah? Job? The woman with the issue of blood?
Eventually, they all got answers.
Now, What Should You Do?
- Tarry: Elijah wasn’t getting answers. Hannah wasn’t getting answer. Job was righteous, yet the answer never came. Their requests took many months before they got answered. But one thing was common amongst them all. What was that? They tarried. They knew better to wait. So when answers ain’t forthcoming, you must wait on Him.
- Try Prayer & Fasting: Remember Esther & Daniel? They had to try prayer and fasting to get what they want. So often, prayer isn’t enough, add fasting to it. It might hasten your answer.
- Ensure it is God’s will: God is a jealous God, He might not grant your request once He realises that giving you what you seek will draw you away from Him, hinder your fellowship with Him or might bring Ham your way. Instead of watching you get hurt and straying away from Him, He’d delay your answer. Until He finds a better way.
When you keep insisting on what you want and He sees that it isn’t consistent with what He wants for You or He knows that He has a better plan for you, Answers won’t come. However, instead of insisting on what you want, why not pray for His will to be done?
If Jesus had insisted for the cup to pass Him by, would you be enjoying His salvation today? But He knew that want He wants isn’t consistent with God’s will. Hence, He made His request subject to God’s Will immediately.
- Pray For Mercy: Mercy says no over judgement, over every evil ruling and every hindrance. Thus, cry out for mercy when it seems like answers ain’t coming. Remember, The blind man of Bartholomew? He cried out for mercy before He received His Healing.
- Pray For Wisdom: See James 1:5 — “5 If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him.” (KJV). Could it be that you’re not asking it the right way? You never can tell. So until you pray for wisdom, you may not know the right way to ask.
- Do You Pray With Scriptures?: Jesus was able to overcome the devil because He knew the scripture, In the same manner, backing up your request with scriptures speeds up your answer because you’re using His word and the scripture says that He Honours His word above His name.
- Prepare Your Heart: Probably, your heart isn’t ready to receive the answer and you still have a lot of cleansing to do. Or maybe you still have doubt in your heart. The double-minded man will not receive anything from the Lord.
- Find Out What Is Hindering Him: Could it be that you have to let go of something for you to get an answer? What have you been holding on to so hard that you’ve refused to drop? At times, you have to Let Go to Let God. When you hold a big teddybear in your hand, you might assume it’s the biggest and without dropping it, you won’t be able to receive the bigger one Jesus is stretching out to give to you.
- Search Your Heart: David was always praying for His heart to be searched to see if there is any unclean thing in Him. You might have to do the same.
- Why Do You Want That Thing?: Could it be that your motive for wanting that promotion, scholarship, marriage, etc is wrong? God looks at the heart, intention, and motives. So if they are wrong, answers won’t come.
- Is the Timing Right?: It is often said that God’s timing is the best. So if it isn’t the time for what you want. You might have to wait until the timing is right.
Delay isn’t denial. Remember. Psalms 30:5 — “5 For His anger is but for a moment, His favor is for a lifetime. Weeping may endure for a night, But a shout of joy comes in the morning.” (AMP). If it is His will and you can wait, Answers will surely come at the right time and ensure you have the right attitude as you wait. Do not grumble, complain or worry.