The Ministry of the Holy Spirit(His Activity in Men’s Life) by Apostle Joshua Selman— a Summary
In this page, you will find an excerpt from the sermon “The Holy Spirit Part 2″ preached at Koinonia on the June 17, 2020 by Apostle Joshua Selman. God bless you as you pay read. In Jesus Name, Amen.
A Few Facts About the Holy Spirit
- The Holy Spirit has a will: 1 Corinthians 12:11 — “All these are the work of one and the same Spirit, and he distributes them to each one, just as he determines.” (NIV)
- The Holy Spirit has emotions: Ephesians 4:30 — “And do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God, with whom you were sealed for the day of redemption.” (NIV)
- The Holy Spirit has intellect: Romans 8:11 — ” And if the Spirit of him who raised Jesus from the dead is living in you, he who raised Christ from the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies because of his Spirit who lives in you.” (NIV)
- The Holy Spirit is a Person
John 16:7-15 — “7 But very truly I tell you, it is for your good that I am going away. Unless I go away, the Advocate will not come to you; but if I go, I will send him to you. 8 When he comes, he will prove the world to be in the wrong about sin and righteousness and judgment: 9 about sin, because people do not believe in me; 10 about righteousness, because I am going to the Father, where you can see me no longer; 11 and about judgment, because the prince of this world now stands condemned. 12 “I have much more to say to you, more than you can now bear. 13 But when he, the Spirit of truth, comes, he will guide you into all the truth. He will not speak on his own; he will speak only what he hears, and he will tell you what is yet to come. 14 He will glorify me because it is from me that he will receive what he will make known to you. 15 All that belongs to the Father is mine. That is why I said the Spirit will receive from me what he will make known to you.”” (NIV). It is crucial to understand that the Human mind alone cannot understand Spiritual things. There is a need for the Holy Spirit to teach us into all truth. The relevance of the Holy Spirit cuts across all spheres. The Holy Spirit is needed for all that pertains to Life and Godliness. We may have the Holy Spirit but not be a benefactor of His Ministry *either through ignorance or disobedience*.
The assignment of the Holy Spirit is two-fold
1. His Ministry to Unbelievers.
2. His Ministry to the Body of Christ- the Believers.
His Ministry to Unbeliever
John 15:26 — “When the Advocate comes, whom I will send to you from the Father—the Spirit of truth who goes out from the Father—he will testify about me.” (NIV)
- He is the One that testifies of the Father.
- He is the Faithful Witness.
- It is only through the Holy Spirit that Unbelievers can have conviction enough to decide to be born again.
- It is not given to man to bring conviction.
- Without the Holy Spirit, miracles can’t change people.
- His assignment is to bring conviction and recognition for the need of Jesus.
His Ministry to Believers
2 Corinthians 13:14 — “May the grace of the Lord Jesus Christ, and the love of God, and the fellowship of the Holy Spirit be with you all.” (NIV). Philippians 2:1 — “Therefore if you have any encouragement from being united with Christ, if any comfort from his love, if any common sharing in the Spirit, if any tenderness and compassion,” (NIV)
- Create the atmosphere for communion.
- Activation of our Spiritual senses: [1 Corinthians 2:14— “The person without the Spirit does not accept the things that come from the Spirit of God but considers them foolishness, and cannot understand them because they are discerned only through the Spirit.”]. We must evaluate the spiritual state of the people we converse with to avoid making a fool of ourselves.
- Revelation and the understanding of Scripture: Scripture doesn’t help you to understand the Holy Spirit it is always the other way around. [Ephesians 1:17— ” I keep asking that the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the glorious Father, may give you the Spirit of wisdom and revelation, so that you may know him better.”].
- Guidance and Direction: [John 16:13— “But when he, the Spirit of truth, comes, he will guide you into all the truth. He will not speak on his own; he will speak only what he hears, and he will tell you what is yet to come.”, Isaiah 30:21— “Whether you turn to the right or to the left, your ears will hear a voice behind you, saying, “This is the way; walk in it.””]. Keep God close to you. God does not always speak, waiting is cheaper than paying an unnecessary price, waiting is a sign of faith. [Psalm 23]
- Renewal and Transformation: [2 Corinthians 3:18— And we all, who with unveiled faces contemplate the Lord’s glory, are being transformed into his image with ever-increasing glory, which comes from the Lord, who is the Spirit., Romans 12:1-2— “Therefore, I urge you, brothers and sisters, in view of God’s mercy, to offer your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and pleasing to God—this is your true and proper worship. 2 Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will.”]. The process of becoming like Christ (having the Mind of Christ). You are transformed by Scripture only when the Holy Spirit breathes upon it. Prolonged sadness could be an indicator of working in the flesh.
- Empowerment: [Isaiah 51:1-9]. The Power of the Highest will overshadow you
May God help us to reign as Kings and Priest unto Him, in balance to the Glory of God and to the advancement of His Kingdom. In Jesus Name, Amen. I hope you enjoyed the summary, comment and like the post and don’t forget to share, God bless you all. Amen