…A FRIEND THAT STICKS CLOSER THAN A BROTHER
Do you have friends? How did you choose them? What do you do together? In this 21st century, no doubt, finding true Godly friendship is rare as most people are busy locked up due to one betrayal or the other. However, good and Godly friendship is needed for every believer.
How do I know this?
Ecclesiastes 4:9-12 — “9 Two are better than one; because they have a good reward for their labour. 10 For if they fall, the one will lift up his fellow: but woe to him that is alone when he falleth; for he hath not another to help him up. 11 Again, if two lie together, then they have heat: but how can one be warm alone? 12 And if one prevail against him, two shall withstand him; and a threefold cord is not quickly broken.” (KJV)
In the Scripture, we can see Godly friendship in the life of the likes of ‘Jonathan & David’, ‘Ruth and Naomi’, ‘Martha & Jesus’, etc The greatest advocate of Friendship Himself is Jesus and the Scripture kept showing us that He is the Greatest Friend of all. As seen in the lives of those listed above, having a Godly friendship can restrain you from failing, encourage you to withstand tough times, etc. Of a truth, the challenge faced is ‘how to find this Godly friendship.’ As you read on, you’ll find out proven tips to help you reach out to or accept someone today.
7 WAYS TO CHOOSE GODLY FRIENDS
- Pray: If you need Godly friends, you must prayerfully do that. Your decision must be guided by God to know those who require true friendship or those you need to embrace. The Bible tells us in Ephesians 3:20 — “20 Now unto him that is able to do exceeding abundantly above all that we ask or think, according to the power that worketh in us,” (KJV). That is to tell you to discard every thought that praying to God for friendship is a waste of time. You can never know those with good intentions towards you, this is the major reason why God is needed in the picture. Only God knows those who are really Godly.
- Seek The Word For Guidance: What does the scripture say about Friends or Friendship? Proverbs 27:9 — “9 Ointment and perfume rejoice the heart: so doth the sweetness of a man’s friend by hearty counsel.” (KJV), Proverbs 16:28-29 — “28 A froward man soweth strife: and a whisperer separateth chief friends. 29 A violent man enticeth his neighbour, and leadeth him into the way that is not good.” (KJV), John 15:13 — “13 Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.” (KJV). Scriptures as such guide you on how to choose friends, what it entails and how great friendship is.
- Be A Friend: Often, I see that we want others to be to us what we are not to them. If you’d like to build friendships with people, you should learn to do that first by reaching out, embracing people for who they are, encouraging others, praying with them, etc.
- Be Committed To Adding Value To Others: Philippians 2:4 — “4 Look not every man on his own things, but every man also on the things of others.” (KJV). It is easier to establish or find a Godly friendship when you give yourself to others, help their needs, etc. As always, our perfect example is Jesus John 15:13 — “13 Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.” (KJV). God grant us grace, Amen
- Learn Forgiveness: 1 Corinthians 13:4-5,7— “4 Charity suffereth long, and is kind; charity envieth not; charity vaunteth not itself, is not puffed up, 5 Doth not behave itself unseemly, seeketh not her own, is not easily provoked, thinketh no evil;… 7 Beareth all things, believeth all things, hopeth all things, endureth all things.” (KJV). Most people find it hard to stay in a friendship because they don’t know how to forgive or let go of little things. If you need a true friendship, you must learn to make excuses for people without judging or assuming. That way, you’d save yourself the hurt of losing a useful relationship over meaningless things.
- Learn to Stand by People During Ups and Downs: It is funny how we want to be friends with people only during the good days. How about the old days? When people are going through storms and they don’t seem to be responding to us as they’ve always done, we shouldn’t be too quick to give up on them. 1 Thessalonians 5:11 — “11 Wherefore comfort yourselves together, and edify one another, even as also ye do.” (KJV)
- Model Jesus Kind of Friendship: As Believers, our Perfect Example is Jesus Christ. Seeing how far He went just so that we can now be called the Sons of God, there is nothing that we too should hold back for the sake of Love.
The Purpose of Godly friendship is to cheer each other on, support one another, pray and study together, hold one another accountable, be open without being judged, seek solutions to problems together, etc. If you find this in one person or some group of people, Keep them close as it’s needed to thrive. Read John 15:13-15 — “13 Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends. 14 Ye are my friends, if ye do whatsoever I command you. 15 Henceforth I call you not servants; for the servant knoweth not what his lord doeth: but I have called you friends; for all things that I have heard of my Father I have made known unto you.” (KJV).
Do not fail to pray for healing and grace to embrace true friendship if you’ve been hurt in time past and you find it difficult to give it a try again.
Don’t go through life alone, alongside Jesus, have someone riding on the boat with you.
What other ways do you think one can establish friendships with Others?