You love a silent atmosphere, right? But it isn’t a great atmosphere when God seems not to be saying something. Often, God’s silence sets in during a dry season or when it’s time for a season. However, I’ve come to learn that God speaks mostly during the silent period. We are so used to the voice, that we fail to get what the silence is communicating to us.
Do you remember how your mum doesn’t speak in some situations, yet you know what she’s trying to communicate? Yes, that’s right. Does it then mean that she isn’t speaking?
God is a man of few words, so silence at times might be a way of training you to listen and depend on Him amidst the noise around you.
Why Does He Seem Silent?
He Has Spoken, But You Don’t Know
There are times that He has spoken, but you don’t know, probably because you were not sensitive, discerning or you were so busy and carried away with activities.
You Are Not Obedient
He might have spoken to you in numerous ways beforehand, but you didn’t heed, So He has decided to wait till when you’re prepared to yield- God’s instructions are incremental, past instructions must be carried out before new ones come.
You’re Not Prepared For His Answer
There are times that we desperately want what we are not ready for and since He knows it could harm you, He will always choose to protect you, the walk is more important that the work.
8 Things To Do When He’s Silent
- Wait on Him: See Psalms 22:2 — “2 O my God, I call out by day, but You do not answer; And by night, but I find no rest nor quiet.” (AMP), Isaiah 40:31 — “31 But those who wait for the Lord [who expect, look for, and hope in Him] Will gain new strength and renew their power; They will lift up their wings [and rise up close to God] like eagles [rising toward the sun]; They will run and not become weary, They will walk and not grow tired.” (AMP). You’re to remain. He will eventually speak. He might be testing your patience- a fruit of His Spirit in you.
- Listen & Learn: He communicates through silence, it is only when you can be patient enough to listen that you can learn from Him. The same way you’ve learnt to understand the pains in your friends’ silence, the scolding in your mum’s silence, is the same way you should train yourself to learn what He is communicating in that silence.
- Remain in the Word: At this time, it is easy for you to be swayed. However, being more grounded in the Word of God helps you to get acquainted with people who’ve been through a similar situation- Romans 15:4 — “4 For whatever was written in earlier times was written for our instruction, so that through endurance and the encouragement of the Scriptures we might have hope and overflow with confidence in His promises.” (AMP). What you seek to hear might eventually come through the Word of God.
- Eliminate Bitterness: See Hebrews 12:15 — “15 See to it that no one falls short of God’s grace; that no root of resentment springs up and causes trouble, and by it many be defiled;” (AMP). If care is not taken, you might find yourself losing count of His faithfulness and you begin to get troubled and doubtful. So praise more, dance more and worship more.
- Check Yourself For Unrighteousness: See 2 Chronicles 7:14 — “14 and My people, who are called by My Name, humble themselves, and pray and seek (crave, require as a necessity) My face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear [them] from heaven, and forgive their sin and heal their land.” (AMP). There are times unrighteousness makes Him seem silent, when we have stopp walking in the Spirit. So you should be ready to repent ask for forgiveness, and ask for the grace to do better.
- Know That He Is Near: The scripture has made you realize that He will never leave you nor forsake you. This implies that even in His silence, He is with you. Hence, Fret not.
- Stick to what you’ve received before: While He’s silent, keep brooding over what you’ve received before. Go through your previous jottings. Who knows? You might just hear Him through that medium.
- Trust Him More: His silence shouldn’t take away your belief in Him. Rather, it should draw you near to Him. After all, you’re not after the Gift but the Giver of the Gift. Amen
In as much as some silence could be a result of your negligence, at times, it could be out of His intentionality to reveal more of His dimension to you. However, remember that it doesn’t matter what comes your way, He is still God, when you’re satisfied and when you’re not satisfied, when He speaks and when He’s silent, He’s still God. So it’s left for you to pick a side. Would you rather turn away from Him because He’s silent or tarry with Him?
He speaks, even in His silence.